more about meshh

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Divine Miss R


I remember being a foot taller than everyone else as a teenager, attempting to shrink my 177cm frame down to something resembling that of my classmates. A futile exercise of course as my efforts only served to create round shoulders and poor posture which is not a look you are intentionally going for as a 15 year old who is desperately trying to blend into the crowd.

I could look at this woman all day long with her long limbs and beautiful curves. Australian plus size model Robyn Lawley is 183cm tall or 6 feet in the old scale and a standard Australian size 14 with  bust, waist, hip measurements of 99-78-104.  It strikes me as kind of ironic then that my measurements are exactly the same as Robyn's (I am 6cm  shorter) but most of my life I have been told in a dismissive way that I can wear anything because I am so tall and thin. Plus size indeed...go figure! This girl does not qualify as plus size in my mind but rather healthy size for her height. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! you're right, Robyn is exactly that - healthy size for her weight. The term plus size is purely a fashion industry label that separates models from 'straight size' (up to an Australian 8) to 'plus size' above an size 10. She is not what many consider high street plus-size but she is a size 14 top and 16 bottoms (spread perfectly over a 6ft frame). People may call that plus size, normal size, inbetweenies, healthy size, curvy or whatever they like... we just know it is beautiful and long overdue! cheers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy! Thanks for clarifying for us. The words 'plus size' are loaded with negative connotations for most women. If a standard size is up to an 8 then we can't help wonder whether that harks back to decades past where women were generally much smaller in both stature and measurement than our amazonian girls are these days? Being 177cm tall a few decades ago was unusual, now it is not uncommon for both boys and girls to be well over this in height. Bring on the day 'plus' models suddenly become 'curvy' instead! :)

      P.S. Well done Bella for showing that 'high fashion' modelling is not just the domain of waifs x

      Delete